1964 Gibson ES-330 TD – Sunburst
Serial number: 175890
Condition: CLEAN – very light play wear for its age
A very beautiful and versatile guitar, a light weight in excellent clean condition, a guitar, full hollow maple body with laminated maple top, no center block. The medium mahogany C-shaped neck feels great and the rosewood fretboard has frets in excellent condition. 1964 was the last year for the 1 11/16” nut width, which makes it more desirable. The dual P-90 pickups, under dog-ear nickel covers, are very warm sounding and super dynamic. The Nickel hardware gives it its special charme, The 3-tone vibrant sunburst finish has kept its color that really accentuates the grain pattern of the maple. There is very little wear on the body, with a slight patina and a minimal amount of light checking. All electrics and soldering are original and untouched. No breaks, no cracks!
The Gibson ES-330 TD is a semi-hollow electric guitar model that has a rich history dating back to its introduction in the late 1950s. Here’s a brief overview of the model’s history:
- Introduction: The Gibson ES-330 TD was first introduced in 1959 as a sister model to the popular ES-335. It was designed as a more affordable alternative, featuring a fully hollow body construction as opposed to the ES-335’s semi-hollow design.
- Construction: The ES-330 TD features a thin, double-cutaway body made of laminated maple. The top, back, and sides are hollow, contributing to its distinctive tone and lightweight feel. The neck is typically made of mahogany and features a rosewood fingerboard.
- Electronics: The “TD” in the model name stands for “Thinline, Double Pickup.” The early models of the ES-330 TD were equipped with two P-90 single-coil pickups, which are known for their warm and articulate tone. Later versions introduced the use of humbucker pickups.
- Design Features: The ES-330 TD has several design elements that distinguish it from other Gibson models. It features a trapeze tailpiece, a floating bridge, and a set of Kluson tuning machines. The body shape is reminiscent of the classic Gibson archtop guitars.
- Popularity and Influence: The ES-330 TD gained popularity among various musicians and genres. It became particularly associated with the sound of the British Invasion bands of the 1960s, including The Beatles, who used it extensively during their early years. Other notable artists who have played the ES-330 TD include Keith Richards, Grant Green, and Dave Grohl.
- Variations and Evolution: Over the years, the ES-330 TD went through a few changes. In the mid-1960s, Gibson introduced the ES-330 TDC model, which added a third pickup in the middle position. The model also saw changes in hardware and finish options, including a switch to a stop tailpiece and the introduction of a cherry red finish.
- Discontinuation and Reissues: Production of the ES-330 TD slowed down in the 1970s and eventually ceased. However, due to its continued popularity among musicians and collectors, Gibson reissued the ES-330 TD in various limited edition runs and Custom Shop models in subsequent years.
The Gibson ES-330 TD remains a sought-after instrument for its unique tone, vintage appeal, and historical significance in the realm of electric guitars. Its distinctive sound and elegant design have made it a favorite among players across different genres for many decades.
- 3-tone Sunburst nitro lacquer finish
- Maple body with laminated maple top
- C shaped neck with mahogany with rosewood fingerboard, (setneck) full-scale – 62.5cm
- Nut width is 1 11/16”
- Scale length is 24 3/4”
- Neck depth at 1st fret is 0.85”/ 0.97” at 12th fret
- Original frets in very good condition
- Original dual P90 pickups with dog-ear nickel covers
- Pot codes* are dated to 1964
- 4 gold reflector cap volume and tone knobs
- Trapeze tailpiece, Tuneomatic bridge
- Oval cream Kluson tuners
- Original 3-ply black pick-guard
- Weight is 6.17 Lb or 2.800 kg
- Original black case with yellow plush lining
All guitars are professionally inspected and set up, ensuring optimal playability and performance.
* Manufacturing date codes and interior pics are available per request: e-mail
|Dimensions||120 × 35 × 48 cm|